Skip to main content

1.06: You Oughta Know

While Joaquin was sleeping, I made a trip to the bathroom.


I made it to the toilet just in time, and kneeled over the toilet for a while, just dry heaving. Ick. To be, like, totally honest, I'd rather have barfed and just gotten on with it.


As I lay on my side, my mind started racing. It'd been three nights in a row of this shit, and a while since I'd last needed those tampons hidden under my bed. I couldn't be... could I? Joaquin and I hadn't exactly been careful. Only one way to find out for sure.


It took some digging around, but I found it.  The directions were easy enough: pee on the stick and wait five minutes. 


Three minutes. Two. One.

"Come on, come on, please..."


Positive.

Fuck.


I threw the stick onto the floor and sat down beside it. Just me and my thoughts for a moment. Thinking. Nearby, the sink spouted a perfect arc of water.


I wasn't ready to be a mom. Was I? I had a little food in my fridge and a roof over my head, but I couldn't afford a plumber to come out and fix the sink. Sure, kids have been brought into worse circumstances, but I didn't want to be selfish and screw a kid over before it got a good start in life. The garden was bringing in a little money, as was my job, but Joaquin didn't make much at his own workplace.


Joaquin. Shit. We hadn't even been together that long. We hadn't had the discussion yet on marriage or kids - did he want either? I mean, I knew my own stances on both of those things. I wanted both, yeah, but not this soon.


And not at all if it meant ending up like my mother. 

Mom was...well, for six years, she was fine. A little neurotic, sure, but nothing too out there. Sometimes, she struggled with getting out of bed or taking care of herself, but that's why she had Letitia, my nanny. To make sure I was fine. But by the time I was seven, I'd noticed she clearly wasn't fine. 

Something had snapped. Full crazy - talking to voices that weren't there, more paranoid then ever. She fired Letitia at some point - pissed Dad right off and I cried for a week. Mom spent a year in an institution in Sim City when I was nine. She came back two days after my tenth birthday.

I remember the check-ins; once a month, somebody came to check on her and make sure she was taking her medicine and all that jazz. She had to go back for a few months when I was fourteen and for a two-week stint just before my seventeenth birthday. And me? I hated her for it. I wanted a normal mom - someone to take me shopping and teach me about boys and braid my hair. Not someone who relied on a rotation of pills to get up and function and not have an attack every so often due to a screwed-up brain.

I wish I'd gotten to tell her I loved her. Because I did; I know now she couldn't always help it. Like, I get it - I was a shit daughter and she wasn't a great mom, but I know she wanted me to be happy and successful and she did it in the best way she knew how.

I shifted into a more comfortable position on the floor.


Joaquin didn't know any of that. I was planning on telling him - like duh, how does that not come up with a boyfriend? But I didn't think we were that serious, just exclusive. But with this new development, I guess that we'd have to have that talk too.


Watcher, I'd really messed up, hadn't I?

I left the stick on the floor for the moment. The sink wasn't going to fix itself, after all.


The sink was an easy fix - a little leaky but a quick twist of the faucet fixed the worst of it. 


I straightened up after that. I knew what I had to do now. Would it be easy? Hell no. But it was necessary.


"Joaquin?"

"¿Sí?"

"We need to talk."


Comments

  1. Such a interesting back story with her mother. I hope Joaquin takes the news well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: A Whole New World

I could hear the birds chirping in the background. In hindsight, that should've been the first sign something was wrong. Without really opening my eyes, I got up and dusted off my dress. "Damn, girl, that was some really cra-" I opened my eyes and then rubbed them, just to make sure I wasn't seeing funky shit.  Trees? In  Bridgeport?  Who'd ever heard of something like that? I looked around, just to make sure I wasn't, like, hallucinating. My eyes were beginning to adjust to the light.  No house. Huh. Weird. And lots of trees. "Larissa?" I called out for my best friend. "Makenzie?" No luck. "Okay, y'all." I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. "This isn't funny anymore." I finished looking around some more. Sure, it was pretty, but it felt...wrong. More trees. And not a single skyscraper in sight. Well, fuck.

1.02: Work, Work

I woke up a little more than an hour before my first day on the job. My mysterious benefactor had left me a camp shower, so I hopped on in to get cleaned up. It worked surprisingly well. I hopped out feeling ready to take on the day! But first, granola. Just as I finished, the carpool came and I dashed off to leave. My first day was....well, horrifying, to say the least. Like, I learned an intern is basically just a coffee-fetching-smile-and-nodder who doesn't get to do shit. But hey, that's in the past now. Hooray for promotions. A helluva headache now, though. Guess I overworked myself. I texted my friends about the promotion. Most of them seemed happy for me. I went out to get a celebratory coffee and the line was SO. SLOW. My grandpa Ken could move faster than these guys, I swear. No wonder it was nighttime by the time I got home. By that point, I was too tired to give a shit, so I went straight to bed. Tue

About This Blog

Hello and welcome to the Fitzgerald Family Fables! Whether this is your first time reading the blog or you're a returner, all are welcome. This story takes place in the universe of The Sims 4 , and I cannot wait to explore it and get to know it better. The rating for this blog will be PG-13 due to language and some of the themes the story may focus on. If the rating changes for a particular chapter, I will post it as part of the title. Most of the writing will be Sims-driven, but some will be following a plot (currently planning on a 2:1 ratio here, but if that shifts this post will be updated to reflect that). It will also be in first-person perspective. Some of the themes for this blog may eventually include: LGBT+ issues/struggles, sexual themes (intimacy, violence, etc.), drinking problems, mental health struggles, and so forth. If any of these could be potentially triggering for you, I advise looking elsewhere or treading with caution. Now that all that fun stuff'