Skip to main content

Interlude: A Realization

My phone went off in my pocket and woke me up from my nap.


An invite from Jesminder to a party over in the old ruins. I mean, I hadn't been there yet, so why not go check it out now?


Turns out I wasn't the only one who thought it was a good idea. I started dancing in the back of the group.


Up at the front were Paolo and two of his housemates. He wasn't kidding when he said they all liked a good party.


I was too tired to go say hello. Instead, I snuck off for a quick snooze on one of the other benches.


When I was sleeping, I heard footsteps pass by me and someone settling in on the other bench. I woke up and saw Joaquin fast asleep on the bench. Huh. Wouldn't have guessed him, that's for sure.


I got up to go pee - ugh, bushes, again. Ew.


By the time I'd made my way back over to the party, Joaquin had woken up.

"Hey there, sleepyhead." I joked as I sat down beside him.

"Same to you. Enjoying partying the Windenburg way?"

"Guess so." A lull in the conversation followed. "So...sounds crazy, but you wanna stargaze with me?"

He nodded and moved onto the ground.

I settled in beside him.

"This is nice."

"Yeah. Just like old times, con mi mamí y mis hermanos." 

"I didn't know you spoke Spanish."

"Brittany, darling, I'm from Spain. Well, Champs Les Sims, technically, but Spain by birthright."

So that's where his accent's from.  "Hm. How'd I miss that?"

"To be fair, I've only known you for a week."

"Has it only been that long?"

He chuckled. "I know what you mean. Es loco, ¿no?"


"But wherever you go, the stars are the same."


We pointed out stars, taking turns for a while longer before I looked over to him.

"So what was Champs Les Sims like? Growing up, I mean?"

He told me. Actually, a lot more than just that.

Joaquin, as it turned out, was the fourth of five boys raised solamente by his mom. She was from a little tiny town on the border of Spain and Portugal. She'd been training as an art teacher and on a yearlong study abroad program in Champs Les Sims when she found out two months in she was pregnant with Pedro, his oldest brother; she married his father two weeks later and never went home. Together they had five kids total in a little less than eight years. His mom ran the home, "and was good at it too." 

His dad, while loving, wasn't a particular presence in his sons' lives - always gone running business for the vineyard. They'd split up after Joaquin turned eleven.

"We moved to Girona after that. Sucked ass, I think, to go from everything familiar to a whole new place. My brothers all coped differently; Pedro con el vino, Nicolás con fútbol, Samuel con la computadora, and Gabriel con su arte. And me? I used humor. Guess that's why I'm a comedian now."

Eventually, he picked up the Spanish and went faster - way too fast for me.

"No fair. I only took a year of Spanish back home."

"Where is home, Brittany?"

I paused. Should I tell him? Like he'd believe me. Hell, I lived it and I barely believed it.

"A long ways away." True, but not giving away too much.

Joaquin said nothing. Eventually, I broke the silence.

"Sun's coming up. Everybody's going home. I'm pretty tired, Joaquin, but..."

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for talking to me."

"I don't think I've told someone that much before, you know." Joaquin got up and offered me a hand up off the ground

"Then I am honored to be the first." I smiled and took his hand.


As I lay down on my mattress, my last thought was: "You know, I wouldn't mind that sort of time with him again."


***

Author's note: So that makes it official - Joaquin is the targeted Generation 1 spouse. It was a tossup between him and Paolo, but in the end she rolled more whims related to Joaquin and they had a fuller friendship bar, so I went with him. And I've never seen him as a legacy spouse so it'll be a bit of a genetic experiment too.

For now, Joaquin will not be part of the household; I want Brittany officially in the PR branch of her career before I move him in. Lucky for them, that's only one promotion off.  Hopefully, two combined incomes will mean more money for house expansions/renovations sooner. Current priorities include a separate bathroom, a kitchen sink, and a computer. But we'll see how it plays out.


















Comments

  1. Good decision! They look very cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm hoping they work out, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your take on Joaquin. Spanish but raised in Champs Les Sims, such an interesting background. I wonder how he'll react when Brittany owns up to where/when she came from. And I haven't seen many babies from him either, so I can't wait to see their kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know how he'll take the news, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. As for the kids - I ran some trials in Create-A-Sim and the results were rather...interesting, to say the least. But I'll roll with whatever I get.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: A Whole New World

I could hear the birds chirping in the background. In hindsight, that should've been the first sign something was wrong. Without really opening my eyes, I got up and dusted off my dress. "Damn, girl, that was some really cra-" I opened my eyes and then rubbed them, just to make sure I wasn't seeing funky shit.  Trees? In  Bridgeport?  Who'd ever heard of something like that? I looked around, just to make sure I wasn't, like, hallucinating. My eyes were beginning to adjust to the light.  No house. Huh. Weird. And lots of trees. "Larissa?" I called out for my best friend. "Makenzie?" No luck. "Okay, y'all." I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. "This isn't funny anymore." I finished looking around some more. Sure, it was pretty, but it felt...wrong. More trees. And not a single skyscraper in sight. Well, fuck.

1.02: Work, Work

I woke up a little more than an hour before my first day on the job. My mysterious benefactor had left me a camp shower, so I hopped on in to get cleaned up. It worked surprisingly well. I hopped out feeling ready to take on the day! But first, granola. Just as I finished, the carpool came and I dashed off to leave. My first day was....well, horrifying, to say the least. Like, I learned an intern is basically just a coffee-fetching-smile-and-nodder who doesn't get to do shit. But hey, that's in the past now. Hooray for promotions. A helluva headache now, though. Guess I overworked myself. I texted my friends about the promotion. Most of them seemed happy for me. I went out to get a celebratory coffee and the line was SO. SLOW. My grandpa Ken could move faster than these guys, I swear. No wonder it was nighttime by the time I got home. By that point, I was too tired to give a shit, so I went straight to bed. Tue

About This Blog

Hello and welcome to the Fitzgerald Family Fables! Whether this is your first time reading the blog or you're a returner, all are welcome. This story takes place in the universe of The Sims 4 , and I cannot wait to explore it and get to know it better. The rating for this blog will be PG-13 due to language and some of the themes the story may focus on. If the rating changes for a particular chapter, I will post it as part of the title. Most of the writing will be Sims-driven, but some will be following a plot (currently planning on a 2:1 ratio here, but if that shifts this post will be updated to reflect that). It will also be in first-person perspective. Some of the themes for this blog may eventually include: LGBT+ issues/struggles, sexual themes (intimacy, violence, etc.), drinking problems, mental health struggles, and so forth. If any of these could be potentially triggering for you, I advise looking elsewhere or treading with caution. Now that all that fun stuff'